Friday, January 11, 2013

Vintage Singer 66 STEAL!

I just have to share this with you because I'm so excited! My mom came up from Orlando today because she's staying the weekend with us.  We usually run out with the kids to see what goodies she's brought for them. But she opens up her car to tell me what she got ME.  She tells me to close my eyes and when I open them... BAM!

My new baby! A vintage 1938 electric Singer 66. 

 AH!!!! Can you imagine how exciting that was for me!? I'm so in love!  Then she tells me she got it at a thrift store where they were asking $65 for it {in the original cabinet and all!} Being the hustler that she is my mom was able to walk out the door with this baby for a measly $25! I couldn't believe it! WOW! Thanks, mom!

Stitch length selector- the numbers correspond to how many stitches per inch you can get.
We almost immediately called the only semi-local guy I know that works specifically on vintage machines and drove the 45 miles to take it right to him. If you are in the North Central FL area he is great! His name is Johnny Johnston, The Old Sewing Machine Man and you can click HERE for his website. He sells parts, machines and services any non-computerized machine and is waaaaaay more affordable than any other place I've researched. He is located between Gainesville and Ocala.

I love that I can take him this machine and he knows exactly what it is, when it was made, and what it needs.  From the looks of it she only needs a new belt, the front slide cover for the bobbin area, a thread spool, etc.  Some really inexpensive things. The motor runs great! So, we'll see!

I did a little research and here's what I found out:

-Based on the serial number beginning with the letters AE873756 the Singer website says this machine was made in 1938! (75 years old)

- It's a Singer 66-18. The "18" signifies that it is the electrical version of the Singer 66 which was also made as a treadle machine.

- It has a black crinkle finish which is an industrial type finish. It is very hard and is baked on the machine. This black crinkle finish is also referred to as the Godzilla finish.

- This machine does NOT have a back tack (back stitching) feature and definitely no zig-zag.  Just a straight stitch. From the looks of it the Singer 66s made in 1940 and beyond had the back stitching functionality. 

- The foot pedal as shown in the picture below looks like it's just hanging and the cord is not long enough to reach the floor. The reason is that the foot pedal was set up on the right side inside the cabinet and was used by pushing the foot pedal knob in with your knee.

Singer 66-18 in what seems to be the original cabinet with pedal hanging.

I can't wait to get her back and try sewing on her.  I looked up some YouTube videos and this guy Vince has a bunch on this exact model (his is from 1940) and shows how it sews right through 10 layers of denim like nothing! Check him out HERE.

I know I'm not the only one who collects sewing machines! How about you? Do you have a vintage machine in your collection?
 
01 09 10